Text Retrieval & Text Mining Journal Club
Friday 10:00 am to 11:30 am.
B11 MacLean Hall
(Here is a map showing the building location).
Previous Years Reading Groups
ACL/HLT (Association for Computational Linguistics/Human Language Technologies)
ACM SIGHIT (ACM International Health Informatics Symposium) (deadlines: May 23 Abstract May 30 Paper)
AMIA and JAMIA (Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association)
AIR Web/Web Quality 2011 (deadline Jan 31)
ECIR (European Conference on Information Retrieval)
AIRS (Asian Information Retrieval Conference)
ICML (International Conference on Machine Learning)
International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media.
ISMB/ECCB (Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology/European Conference on Computational Biology)
KDD (ACM SIG Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining)
RIAO (next in 2013 my guess)
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
Special Focus: To be decided. Participants are encouraged to suggest readings aligned with their interests.
- January 21, 2011 . Organizational meeting
- January 28, 2011. (Padmini Srinivasan)
- Neubauer, Wetzker, Obermayer. Tag Spam Creates Large Non-Giant Connected Components. AIRWeb ’09, April 21, 2009 Madrid, Spain.
- Wetzker, Zimmermann, Bauckhage, Albayrak. I Tag, You Tag: Translating Tags for Advanced User Models. WSDM’10, February 4–6, 2010, New York City, New York, USA.
- February 4, 2011. (Chris Harris)
- Shenghui Wang, Stefan Schlobach and Michel Klein. What Is Concept Drift and How to Measure It? KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT BY THE MASSES. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2010, Volume 6317/2010, 241-256, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-16438-5_17
- February 11, 2011. (Si-Chi Chin)
- Anon Plangprasopchok, Kristina Lerman, Lise Getoor. Growing a Tree in the Forest: Constructing Folksonomies by Integrating Structured Metadata. KDD’10, July 25–28, 2010, Washington, DC, USA.
- February 18, 2011. (Sanmitra Bhattacharya)
- Xiaoshi Yin, Xiangji Huang, and Zhoujun Li. Promoting Ranking Diversity for Biomedical Information Retrieval Using Wikipedia. ECIR 2010, LNCS 5993, pp. 495–507, 2010.
- February 25, 2011. (Mohammad Khoshneshin)
- Ramesh Nallapati and William Cohen. Link-PLSA-LDA: A new unsupervised model for topics and influence of blogs. International Conference for Weblogs and Social Media, 2008.
- March 4, 2011. (Hung Viet Tran)
- Krause et al. The Anti-Social Tagger – Detecting Spam in Social Bookmarking Systems. AIRWeb 08
- March 11, 2011. (Yelena Mejova)
- Eric Gilbert, Tony Bergstrom and Karrie Karahalios. Blogs Are Echo Chambers: Blogs Are Echo Chambers. 42nd Hawaii International
Conference on System Sciences, 2009.
- Souneil Park, Minsam Ko, Jungwoo Kim, Ying Liu, Junehwa Song. The Politics of Comments: Predicting Political Orientation of News Stories
with Commenters’ Sentiment Patterns. The 2011 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2011.
- March 18, 2011. Spring Break
- March 25, 2011. (Jason Fries)
- Goorha and Ungar. Discovery of significant emerging trends. Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining (2010) pp. 57-64
- April 1, 2011. (Amit Verma)
April 8, 2011. (Chao Yang)
- Nicholas A. Christakis, James H. Fowler. Social Network Sensors for Early Detection of Contagious Outbreaks. PLoS September 2010, Volume 5 (9), 2010.
April 15, 2011. (Lian Duan)
- Chang et al. ePluribus: Ethnicity on Social Networks. Proceedings of the Fourth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Medial (ICWSM). AAAI Press (2010).
April 22, 2011. (Viet Ha-Thuc)
- Kempe, Kleinberg, Tardos. Maximizing the Spread of Influence through a Social Network. SIGKDD ’03, pp. 137 - 146, Washington, DC, USA
April 29, 2011. (Si-Chi Chin)
- Dredze et al. Confidence-Weighted Linear Classification. Proceedings of the 25 th International Conferenceon Machine Learning, Helsinki, Finland, 2008.
May 6, 2011.
- M. Dredze, T. Oates, and C. Piatko, “We’re not in Kansas anymore: detecting domain changes in streams,” in Proceedings of the 2010
Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Stroudsburg, PA, USA, 2010, p. 585–595.
- General discussion on modeling network problems.