Text Retrieval & Text Mining Journal Club
Wednesdays 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm.
14G MacLean Hall
(Here is a map showing the building location).
Previous Years Reading Groups
ACL/HLT (Association for Computational Linguistics/Human Language Technologies)
ACM SIGHIT (ACM International Health Informatics Symposium)
AMIA and JAMIA (Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association)
AIR Web/Web Quality 2011 (deadline Jan 31)
ECIR (European Conference on Information Retrieval)
AIRS (Asian Information Retrieval Conference)
ICML (International Conference on Machine Learning)
International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media.
ISMB/ECCB (Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology/European Conference on Computational Biology)
KDD (ACM SIG Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining)
RIAO (next in 2013 my guess)
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
Special Focus: To be decided. Participants are encouraged to suggest readings aligned with their interests.
- August 24, 2011. Organizational meeting
- August 31, 2011. (Chris Harris)
- Ageev et al. Find It If You Can: A Game for Modeling Different Types of Web Search Success Using Interaction Data. SIGIR 2011.
- September 7 , 2011. (Padmini Srinivasan)
- Kanaka D. Shetty and Siddartha R. Dalal. Using information mining of the medical literature to improve drug safety. JAMIA August 31, 2011.
- September 14, 2011. (Si-Chi Chin)
- Guerra, Veloso et al. From bias to opinion: a transfer-learning approach to real-time sentiment analysis. Proc. of 17th ACM SIGKDD, ACM, NY, 150-158.
- September 21, 2011. (Hung Tran)
- Belem, Martins et al., Associative Tag Recommendation Exploiting Multiple Text Features. SIGIR 2011.
- September 28, 2011. (Sanmitra Bhattacharya)
- de Bruijn B. et al. Machine-learned solutions for three stages of clinical information extrction: the state of the art at i2b2 2010. JAMIA 18(5): 557-562 (2011)
- Clark C. et al. MITRE system for clinical assertion status classification. JAMIA 18(5): 563-567 (2011).
- October 5, 2011. (Yelena Mejova)
- Ott et al. Finding deceptive opinion spam by any stretch of the imagination. ACL HLT 2011.
- October 12, 2011. (Charisse Madlock Brown)
- Elkiss et al. Blind men and elephants: What do citation summaries tell us about a research article? JASIST, 59 (1), 51-62, 2008.
- October 19, 2011.(Chao Yang)
- Yuan Lin, Hongfei Lin, Song Jin, Zheng Ye. Social Annotation in Query Expansion: a Machine Learning Approach. SIGIR 2011.
- October 26, 2011. (Gautam Pant)
- Martin Rosvall and Carl T. Bergstrom. Mapping Change in Large Networks. PLoS one, January 27, 2010.
11. November 2, 2011.
12. November 9, 2011. (Yi Wang)
- Sidorova, A., et al. Uncovering the intellectual core of the Information System Discipline. MIS Quarterly, 32(3), 467-482, September2008
13. November 16, 2011. (Roy Zhang)
- Chloe Kiddon and Yuriy Brun. That’s What She Said: Double Entendre Identification. ACL Proceedings (short papers), pp. 89-94, 2011.
14. November 30, 2011. (Yelena Mejova)
- Yoonjung Choi, Yuchul Jung, and Sung-Hyon Myaeng. Identifying Controversial Issues and Their Sub-topics in News Articles. PAISI 2010, LNCS 6122, pp. 140–153, 2010.