Text Retrieval & Text Mining Reading Group
Thursdays 4:00 pm to 5:30pm.
B11 MacLean Hall
(Here is a map showing the building location).
Previous Years Reading Groups
Conference Deadlines [To Be Updated]:
WWW 2009 Madrid: April 20-24, 2009. (deadline: November 3, 2008)
AMIA 2009 San Francisco: November 14-18, 2009.
ICTIR | 2nd International Conference on the Theory of Information , Microsoft UK, 10-11 September 2009.
IEEE/WIC/ACM WEB INTELLIGENCE 2009 Sept 15 - 18, 2009. Milano, Italy.
WSDM 2009 (deadline ?)
ASIST 2009 Vancouver: November 6-9, 2009. (deadline ?)
International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM 09), May 17 - 20, 2009, San Jose, California, (deadline January 21, 2009).
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
Special Focus: We will continue to read a variety of papers from different proceedings and journals.
Additionally this semester we will take a close look at some papers in bioinformatics in addition to the usual collection of conference papers.
Participants are encouraged to suggest readings aligned with their interests.
- August 27, 2009. Wei, Zhao and Liang. Estimating the Growth Models of News Stories on Disaster. JASIST. Published online 29 May 2009 in Wiley InterScience (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/asi.21109. [Get while on campus].
- September 3, 2009. Shi Yu∗, Steven Van Vooren, Leon-Charles Tranchevent, Bart De Moor and Yves Moreau. Comparison of vocabularies, representations and ranking algorithms for gene prioritization by text mining. Vol. 24 ECCB 2008, pages i119–i125.
- September 10, 2009. K. Chatterjee, L. de Alfaro, I. Pye. Robust Content-Driven Reputation. In Proceedings of AISec 08: First ACM Workshop of AISec, ACM Press, 2008. (Bob Arens leads)
- September 17, 2009. Brian Ulicny, Mieczyslaw M. Kokar, and Christopher J. Matheus. Uses of Ontologies in Open Source Blog Mining. Invited chapter in Ontologies and Semantic Technologies for the Intelligence Community. L. Obrst, T. Janssen, W. Ceusters, eds. IOS Press, 2009. (Viet Ha-Thuc leads)
- September 24, 2009. Prem Melville, Wojciech Gryc, Richard D. Lawrence. Sentiment Analysis of Blogs by Combining Lexical Knowledge with Text Classification. KDD '09. (Yelena Mejova leads)
- October 1, 2009. Srinivasan, P. Adaptive classifiers, topic drifts and GO annotations. Proceedings of the American Medical Informatics Conference. November 2007. (Peter Likarish leads)
- October 9, 2009. Grineva, M, Grinev, M, Lizorkin, D. Extracting Key Terms From Noisy
and Multi-theme Documents. WWW'09 (Si-Chi Chin leads)