Text Retrieval & Text Mining Reading Group
Friday 9:45 am to 11:45 am.
School of Library & Information Science (meeting room number 3082)
3rd floor Main Library (here is a map showing the building location.
Previous Years Reading Groups
The room is on the side closest to Burlington Street)
to be added.
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
Note if you would like to attend the reading group sessions and have a
timing conflict please let me know.
February 1, 2008:
Investigating Retrieval Performance with Manually-Built Topic Models
Xing Wei and W. Bruce Croft, RIAO 2007.
February 15, 2008:
Incremental Hierarchical Clustering of Text Documents, Sahoo et al. (CMU) CIKM 2006.
- February 21, 2008: Baillie, M. and Azzopardi, L. and Crestani, F. (2006) Adaptive query-based sampling of distributed collections. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth Symposium on String Processing and Information Retrieval (SPIRE 2006), 11-13 Oct 2006, Glasgow, UK.
- February 28, 2008: Asian, Williams and Tahaghoghi. Stemming Indonesian. 28th Australasian Computer Science Conference. 2005. (Eri Kurniawan leads)
- March 7, 2008: Comparing top k lists by Fagin, Kumar and Sivakumar. SIAM J of Discrete
Math, 17(1), 134-160.
Special Note: Please skip section 3.2, 3.3 and all of part 7.
(Bob Arens leads)
- March 14, 2008: Same paper as on March7
- March 21, 2008: Spring Break
- March 28, 2008: Context Sensitive Stemming for Web Search, Peng, et al., SIGIR 2007. (Viet Ha-Thuc leads.