Text Retrieval & Text Mining Reading Group
Wednesday 10:00 am to noon.
School of Library & Information Science (meeting room number 3082)
3rd floor Main Library (here is a map showing the building location.
Previous Years Reading Groups
The room is on the side closest to Burlington Street)
SIGIR 2009 Boston: July 19 - 23, 2009. (deadline Jan 26, abstract Jan 19)
JCDL 2009 Austin: June 15-19, 2009. (deadline: Jan 23, 2009)
WWW 2009 Madrid: April 20-24, 2009. (deadline: November 3, 2008)
AMIA 2009 San Francisco: November 14-18, 2009. (deadline ?)
ASIST 2009 Vancouver: November 6-9, 2009. (deadline ?)
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals
taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and
Note if you would like to attend the reading group sessions and have a
timing conflict please let me know.
- September 3, 2008. Ellen Voorhees. Overview of TREC 2007. TREC Workshop Paper, 2007.
- September 10, 2008. Zhang and Yu. UIC at TREC 2007 Blog Track. TREC Workshop Paper, 2007. (Yelena leads)
- September 17, 2008. Cao, Nie, Gao and Robertson. Selecting good expansion terms for pseudo-relevance
feeback. SIGIR 2008. (Viet leads. He will provide some background as well).
- September 24, 2008. Kalashnikov, Nuray-Turan, Mehrotra. Towards Breaking the Quality Curse.
A Web-Querying Approach to Web People Search. SIGIR 2008. (Padmini leads).
- October 1, 2008. Liu & Yang. EigenRank: A Ranking-Oriented Approach to Collaborative
Filtering. SIGIR 2008. (Brian leads)
- October 8, 2008. Mei, Ling, Wondra, Su and Zhai. Topic Sentiment Mixture:
Modeling Facets and Opinions in Weblogs. WWW 2007. (Yelena with Viet leads)
- October 15, 2008. Arens, R. Learning SVM Ranking Function from User
Feedback Using Document Metadata and Active
Learning in the Biomedical Domain. ECML workshop, 2008.
- October 22, 2008. Ha-Thuc and Srinivasan. Topic Models and a Revisit of Text-related Applications. PIKM 2008. (Viet presents)
- October 29, 2008. Zhou, Shi and Zhang. A Statistical Language Modeling Approach to Online Deception Detection.
IEEE Transactions On Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 20, NO. 8, August 2008.
- November 5, 2008. Qin, Liu, Xu, and Li, Microsoft Asia. LETOR: A Benchmark Collection for Learning to Rank for
Information Retrieval. (Bob leads)
LETOR web site, LETOR evaluation tools (zip file).
- November 12, 2008. Almquist, Mejova, Ha-Thuc, Srinivasan. University of Iowa at TREC 2008 Legal and Relevance Feedback Tracks. (Brian presents his Legal Track TREC presentation.)
- November 19, 2008. No meeting. TREC 2008 conference
- November 26, 2008. No meeting. Thanksgiving break
- December 3, 2008. No meeting. Digital Curation conference
- December 10, 2008. Gamon, Basu et al. BLEWS: Using Blogs to Provide Context for News Articles. ICWSM 2008, Presented by Chris Harris