Text Retrieval & Text Mining Journal Club
Monday, 3:00 pm to 4:30pm
Previous Years Reading Groups
Some interesting conferences you may explore for papers to present:
- ACL/HLT (Association of Computational Linguistics/Human Language Technologies
- AMIA (American Medical Informatics Association) and JAMIA
- ACM SIGIR (Special Interest Group in Information Retrieval)
- AIRS - Asian Information Retrieval
- ICML (International Conference on Machine Learning)
- ICWSM (AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media)
- ACM KDD (Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining)
- WWW (World Wide Web Conference)
- WSDM (ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining)
- TREC Proceedings
Goal: To study current papers from journals and conference proceedings in text
retrieval and text mining. Examples of problems include topic models,
web retrieval and web mining, ranking strategies, ambiguity resolution, knowledge discovery,
web phenomenon including social networks, information extraction and text
The reading group is lead by Professor Padmini Srinivasan. Interested students (from beginning to advanced students) and faculty are invited to
participate in the reading group. Participation format is informal with individuals taking turns to present an overview of the selected paper and lead the discussion.
This forum has resulted in collaborative projects and published papers.
- January 28: Momina Tabish, UCC-2520C-Conf
February 4: Asad Mahmood - UCC-2520C-Conf
- Ma, F., Gao, J., Suo, Q., You, Q., Zhou, J., & Zhang, A. (2018, July). Risk prediction on electronic health records with prior medical knowledge. In Proceedings of the 24th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (pp. 1910-1919). ACM.
February 11: Jonathan Russert - UCC-2520B-Conf
- Feng, J., Huang, M., Zhao, L., Yang, Y., & Zhu, X. (2018, April). Reinforcement learning for relation classification from noisy data. In Thirty-Second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
February 18: Huyen Le - UCC-2520B-Conf
- Founta, A. M., Chatzakou, D., Kourtellis, N., Blackburn, J., Vakali, A., & Leontiadis, I. (2019, June). A unified deep learning architecture for abuse detection. In Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Web Science (pp. 105-114). ACM.
February 25: Dat Hong - UCC-2390-Exec
March 4: Osama Khalid - UCC-2520B-Conf
- Zannettou, S., Caulfield, T., Blackburn, J., De Cristofaro, E., Sirivianos, M., Stringhini, G., & Suarez-Tangil, G. (2018, October). On the origins of memes by means of fringe web communities. In Proceedings of the Internet Measurement Conference 2018 (pp. 188-202). ACM.
March 11: Ingroj Shrestha - UCC-2520B-Conf
March 18: Spring Break
March 25: Cancelled
April 1: Asad Mahmood - UCC-2520B-Conf
April 8: Momina Tabish - UCC-2520B-Conf
April 15: Cancelled
April 22: Ingroj Shrestha - UCC-2520B-Conf
- Hazarika, D., Poria, S., Gorantla, S., Cambria, E., Zimmermann, R., & Mihalcea, R. (2018). CASCADE: Contextual sarcasm detection in online discussion forums. arXiv preprint arXiv:1805.06413.
April 29: Jonathan Rusert - UCC-2520C-Conf
May 6: Dat Hong - UCC-2520B-Conf
- Zhang, J., Kowsari, K., Harrison, J. H., Lobo, J. M., & Barnes, L. E. (2018). Patient2vec: A personalized interpretable deep representation of the longitudinal electronic health record. IEEE Access, 6, 65333-65346.
- Ehsan, U., Harrison, B., Chan, L., & Riedl, M. O. (2018, December). Rationalization: A neural machine translation approach to generating natural language explanations. In Proceedings of the 2018 AAAI/ACM Conference on AI, Ethics, and Society (pp. 81-87). ACM.