(EXTRA!)ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS II-22M:214
SPRING SEMESTER 2008
This course is a continuation of 22M:213 (Ordinary Differential
Equations I). Though the course is mostly about the theory of ordinary
differential equations (ODEs), we will consider this
theory in conjunction with some theoretical and practical
aspects of numerical methods for ODEs.
hmwk1.pdf due 02/04/08.
hmwk2.pdf due 02/13/08.
hmwk3.pdf due 02/25/08.
hmwk4.pdf due 03/05/08.
hmwk5.pdf due 03/12/08.
hmwk6.pdf due 03/26/08.
hmwk7.pdf due 04/11/08.
hmwk8.pdf due 04/18/08.
hmwk9.pdf due 05/05/08.
READINGS FROM THE 2 TEXTBOOKS (AND FROM OTHER REFERENCES)
- Meiss: 9.3, 9.4
- Meiss: 9.5; Wiggins: 13.7AB
- Meiss: 9.6
- Wiggins: 13.7C, 14.4
- Wiggins: 13.8
- Meiss: 9.12; Wiggins: 14.5, 14.6
- Meiss: 9.13; Wiggins: 14.7
- Meiss: 8.5; Wiggins: 19.1; Perko: 2.13
- Meiss: 8.3, 8.4, 8.6; Wiggins: 20.3, 20.4AD; Perko: 4.3; Strogatz: 3.6
- Strogatz: 7.6
- Meiss: Lemma 3.13, p.95
- Textbook 1:
Differential Dynamical Systems by
James D. Meiss,
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM),
Series: Monographs on Mathematical Modeling and Computation,
2007, 412 pages, Softcover, ISBN-10: 0898716357, ISBN-13: 978-0-898716-35-1, list price: $79.00.
Table of contents;
The book on amazon.com. This book is $55.30 for SIAM members if you order through SIAM.
- Textbook 2:
Introduction to Applied Nonlinear Dynamical Systems and Chaos by
Springer, Series: Texts in Applied Mathematics, Vol. 2, 2nd edition,
2003, 808 pages, Hardcover, ISBN: 978-0387001777, list price: $99.00.
The book on amazon.com.
Some notes and references on dynamical systems
- Lyapunov-stability (covered in 22M:213)
- Variational calculus (covered in 22M:213)
- Lagrange's and Hamilton's mechanics (covered in 22M:213)
- Noether's theorem (covered in 22M:213)
- Divergence free ODEs (Poincare recurrence theorem) (covered in 22M:213)
- Reversible systems (covered in 22M:213)
- Invariant (stable, unstable, center) manifolds (covered in 22M:213)
- Poisson systems
- Variational/symplectic integrators
- Differential inequalities
- KAM (Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser) theory
- Normal forms
- Structural stability
- Homoclinic orbits
- Melnikov's method
- Boundary value problems (Sturm-Liouville systems)
- Free electronic textbook Numerical Computing with MATLAB
by Cleve Moler
himself!, the founder of Matlab.
- Matlab Help is available directly from the Help menu of the Matlab window.
- A Very Elementary
MATLAB Tutorials from Other Universities,
MATLAB & Simulink Tutorials,
MATLAB Homework Helper,
all presented by Mathworks, Inc., producers of Matlab.
Crash Course in MATLAB by Tobin Driscoll, University of Delaware.
Some Matlab tutorials from Edward Neuman
Matlab tutorial - University of New Hampshire
Matlab tutorial - University of British Columbia
Matlab tutorial - University of Florida
Online Reference Documentation provides direct hypertext links to
specific MATLAB function descriptions (from the Math Dept, University of Florida).
- Matlab Primer (ps)
(for an earlier version of Matlab)
- Matlab 5 introduction
(ps, see also
- MATLAB Guide by D. J. Higham and N. J. Higham,
SIAM, Philadelphia, 2005 (ENGINEERING QA297 .H5217 2005)
Introduction to Engineering Programming: in C, MATLAB and JAVA
by Mark A. Austin.
- Matlab for first order ODEs
- Matlab for higher order ODEs and systems of ODEs
- Matlab for PDEs
LINUX COMPUTER ACCOUNTS
Linux computer accounts will be made available on the Linux network in MLH
(computer lab rooms B5 and 301).
You can also use the NoMachine
NX Client Windows software to
access your Linux computer account remotely.
Selected Unix commands.
- Class directory: /group/class/m214. Group you belong to: m214.
- If you do not know your password go to 303A MLH.
- Accounts for students who are not majoring in Computer Science,
Mathematics, or Statistics and Actuarial Science
will be deleted after the term has ended!
Note the expiration date at the top of your Unix Account
- The directory for this class will be removed before the
beginning of the next term! If there is anything in this directory
that you would like to save, you must archive it to your own
LIST OF 11 STUDENTS
- Abiva, Jeannine Therese
- Correa, Alvaro
- Drube, Paul Harlan
- Kair, Beven Michael
- Kozak, Christopher L
- Meyers, Anna Lynn
- Mohr, Darin Griffin
- Price, Candice
- Reinkoester, Jeremiah N
- Small, Scott Joseph
- Wolf, Roseanne Marie
Laurent O. Jay
Department of Mathematics
14 MacLean Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1419