NUMERICAL ANALYSIS: NONLINEAR EQUATIONS AND APPROXIMATION THEORY-22M:170/22C:170
FALL SEMESTER 2005
- Textbook (complement):
Numerical Mathematics by A. Quarteroni, R. Sacco, & F. Saleri,
Springer, Texts in applied mathematics, New York, 37, ISBN: 0387989595,
list price: $69.95. Library reference: MATH QA297 .Q836 2000.
FURTHER READING FOR YOUR OWN INTEREST
- A lot of useful
the course, especially the lectures section and
an overview of numerical analysis
from Ken Atkinson.
and other updated material
written by Ken.
- The definition of numerical analysis
(ps) as discussed by L. N. Trefethen.
- Two resarch level papers on interpolation:
Barycentric Lagrange interpolation
The Numerical Stability of Barycentric Lagrange Interpolation
UNIX CLASS ACCOUNTS
- Class directory: /group/class/m170.
- Class submit directory: /group/submit/m170.
- Group you belong to and class mailing list: m170.
- If you do not know your password go to 303A MLH.
- Accounts for students who are not majoring in Computer Science,
Mathematics, or Statistics and Actuarial Science
will be deleted after the term has ended!
Note the expiration date at the top of your Unix Account
- The directory for this class will be removed before the
beginning of the next term! If there is anything in this directory
that you would like to save, you must archive it to your own
POSSIBLE READINGS FROM THE TEXTBOOK
- For the week of 08/29 you may read section 2.5.
- For the week of 09/05 you may read sections 2.4 and 2.3.
- For the week of 09/12 you may read sections 8.1 and 8.2.
- For the week of 09/19 you may read sections 2.1 and 8.4.
- For the week of 09/26 you may read section 10.9.
- For the week of 10/03 you may read sections 8.3 and 8.6.
- For the week of 10/10 you may read section 9.1.
- For the week of 10/17 you may read sections 9.2 and 10.2.
- For the week of 10/24 you may read sections 10.1, 10.4, and 10.7.
- For the week of 10/31 you may read sections 10.3, 10.8, and 10.9 (again).
- For the week of 11/14 you may read sections 6.2, 6.3, and 7.1.
- Yuan Wu,
hmwk1.pdf due 09/09/05.
hmwk2.pdf due 09/16/05.
hmwk3.pdf due 09/23/05.
hmwk4.pdf due 10/03/05.
hmwk5.pdf due 10/12/05 (extended deadline).
hmwk6.pdf due 10/28/05.
hmwk7.pdf due 11/07/05.
hmwk8.pdf due 11/14/05.
hmwk9.pdf due 11/28/05.
hmwk10.pdf due 12/05/05.
LIST OF STUDENTS
- Adkinson, Stephanie Ann
- Austin, Aaron Benjamin
- Dempsey, Jennifer Elizabeth
- Gassman, Esther Elizabeth
- Hubbard, Timothy Paul
- Jackson, Carmen Michelle
- LaForge, Joseph Paul
- Lee, Sangyeol
- Noh, Yoojeong
- Pogmore, Travis Darrell
- Powell, Stephanie Mae
- Small, Scott Joseph
- Varadan, Charanyan Santhana
- Wang, Teng-Hui
- Wendt, Theodore James
- Wu, Chen-Yu
- Yang, Fan
- one student in economics
Laurent O. Jay
Department of Mathematics
14 MacLean Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242-1419