West02, Jones on End-to-End Accuracy Standards, Slide 4
- Reliably detected mark
- A mark that will always be counted as a vote by a vote tabulating machine.
- Acceptable marks should be reliably detectable.
- Reliably ignored mark
- A mark that will never be seen as a vote by a vote tabulating machine.
- Unacceptable marks should be reliably ignored.
- Marginal mark
- A mark that may or may not be counted, depending on the circumstances.
- There should be no marginal marks.
- The goals listed above are all unattainable!