West02, Jones on End-to-End Accuracy Standards, Slide 3
Given a particular ballot design and a particular set of instructions:
- What marks do voters actually make as votes?
- Most of these should be acceptable marks!
- What other marks do voters make, not intended as votes?
- Most of these should not be acceptable marks!
In Florida 2000:
- There was no statewide agreement on what was an acceptable mark.
- Different ballot designs including different instructions led to significantly different voter responses from county to county.