Punched Card Printers
the Punched Card Collection
The Business Supplies Corporation of America had its headquarters in Princeton, New Jersey and was incorporated in 1961. Their Data Processing Supplies Division produced punched cards in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey. The company filed a suit against IBM 1962, complaining about antitrust violations in the punched card business; they settled in 1966. The company became inactive in 1988.
Control Data Corporation was founded in 1957 and delivered its first computer in 1960. In the decade from 1965 to 1975, it built the fastest computers on earth. CDC and its customers were major consumers of punched cards, so the company bought the Electronic Accounting Card Company in 1968 and became a significant producer of punched cards in the United States. CDC was also a significant supplier in the UK; on Nov. 8, 1972, Computerworld reported that IBM, ICL and CDC, between them, controlled 98.5% of the punched card market there.
Data Card Corporation of Minneapolis, Minnesota was founded around 1969 around a line of machines to make and process credit cards, but by by 1974 it seems to have had a line of punched-card readers and punches for minicomputers.
Edgar Snider founded the Electronic Accounting Card Company in 1957 and sold it to Control Data Corporation in 1968. Curiosly, Snider bought the punched card business back from CDC when that company was in decline, creating the National Electronic Card Company or NEC.
The Globe Ticket Co. of Philadelphia printed all kinds of tickets, but it diversified into punched cards as well. It was a significant player in the card market between 1967 and 1977, and it was involved with more than one price fixing investigation by the Department of Justice.
Hummel KG of Magstadt bei Stuttgart, Germany, was a major supplier of cards to the German market as early as 1963. Hummel Print, as the company is now known, was founded in 1957, as of 2023, it is best known for airline boarding passes, adhesive labels and similar products.
IBM was originally founded as the Computing Tabulating-Recording Recording (CTR) company in 1911, and it was renamed International Business Machines in 1924. CTR was the result of a merger; one of the component companies was Herman Hollerith's Tabulating Machine Company, incorporated in 1896 to commercialize Hollerith's punched-card system of data processing. As such, IBM can be rightly considered the oldest manufacturer and printer of punched cards. the American Revolution in 1976. IBM was still selling significant numbers of punched cards in the bicentennial year, but cards were in decline. IBM would close its last punched card production facility in 1984.
IBM really was international, with printing plants producing punched cards in Australia, England, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand and elsewhere.
International Computers Limited was formed in 1968 when International Computers and Tabulators merged with English Electric Computers and Elliott Automation. It inherited its punched card operation from ICT. On Nov. 8, 1972, Computerworld reported that IBM, ICL and CDC, between them, controlled 98.5% of the punched card market in the UK. The company lasted until 2002, and really was international, with printing plants in several former British colonies.
International Computers and Tabulators was formed in 1959 when the British Tabulating Machine Company merged with Powers-Samas. It inherited punched-card production facilities from both predecessors, and in 1968, its punched-card business was passed on to International Computers Limited.
Information Supplies Corporation was a significant card supplier from 1966 to 1970, when it appear to have been taken over by Midwest Tab. By the time Midewst Tab was involved, the company had printing plants serving Chicago, Pittsburgh and New York.
Lewis Business Forms of Jacksonville, Florida sold office furnishings and supplies as well as a diverse line of business forms, envelopes and tabulating cards starting no later than the mid 1960s. M. G. Lewis was the president. By 1978, it had changed its name to Lewis Business Products.
The Mid-Continent Tab Card Company was founded in the late 1950s, and with a big infusion of cash from Warren Buffet in 1950, grew into a major supplier of punched cards. It became Data Documents in 1960.
МОЭФТНИ (MOEFTNI) was the acronym for the Moscow Expereimental Factory for Technical Data Carriers in the 1970s and perhaps earlier. The relationship between МОЭФТНИ and Техноинформ (Technoinform) is unclear. Either МОЭФТНИ was competing with Техноинформ or that there was a name change in the 1975-1976 era.
Midwest Tab Card Producers Inc., of Evanston Illinois, was recruiting press operators in late 1963 and advertised itself as a source of cards in 1964 and 1965.
The National Electronic Card Company was founded by Edgar Snider in High Point, North Carolina in 1972 by buying the punched-card business he'd sold to CDC. For obscure reasons, the company was incorporated in Georgia. It changed its name to NECS in 1979.
NEC changed its name to National Electronic Computer Supplies in 1979. The company folded in 1993.
Punched Card Services Inc., founded in 1958, grew into a significant supplier of cards in the early 1960s, surviving until 1993, by which time it had changed its name to PCS Data Processing Inc.
Druckwerke Reichenbach (Reichenbach Printers) has been in business since 1832. Today, they are best known as a printer of calendars, but during the punched-card era in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany), they were a significant producer of punched cards.
Техноинформ (Technoinform) was a Russian producer of punched cards in the 1980s. The relationship between МОЭФТНИ (MOEFTNI) and Техноинформ is unclear. Either МОЭФТНИ was competing with Техноинформ or that there was a name change in the 1975-1976 era.