22C:116, Course Diary, Spring 2002
Douglas W. Jones
University of Iowa
Department of Computer Science
Lectures are at 2:30 Monday and Wednesday in Room B11 MacLean Hall.
- Wed Jan 23
- Pin down class organization, schedule next discussion.
Mon Jan 28
- Discuss FinalOS, the example kernel for the 116 final in fall 2001.
This kernel is an extreme microkernel based on server-side
authentication, and serves as a warm-up exercise.
- Wed Jan 30
- Jones absent because of Washington trip.
- Mon Feb 4
- Wrap up discussion of FinalOS implementation
- Wed Feb 6
- Discuss gate crossing mechanisms, introduce idea of using MMU for this.
- Mon Feb 11
- Extend MMU idea to object-oriented method calls under a microkernel.
- Wed Feb 13
- Discuss the small object problem, in general.
- Mon Feb 18
- Garbage collection, small objects, and MMU-based large objects.
- Wed Feb 20
- Official project launch, begin serious design exercise
- Mon Feb 25
- Calling a method of an object creates a new domain.
- Wed Feb 27
- Calling a method of an object creates a new thread.
- Mon Mar 4
- The move-capability operator and its relation to paged segmented addressing.
- Wed Mar 6
- Discussion of alternatives for parameters to threads
- Mon Mar 11
- Confused discussion of alternative models non-page objects.
- Wed Mar 13
- Gordon Bell's wheel, a warning about I/O complexity that may apply to parameter passing.