Adjusting your Java security settings
The possible steps to adjusting your security settings will depend on your operating system and browser, so I am not able to provide detailed instructions for all possible situations.
Instructions for Apple computers. At the moment (January, 2015), the following instructions will work:
- From the system preferences app under the apple menu, choose java. The opens a separate java control panel.
- In the Java control panel, choose the security tab.
- If there is an Exceptions List, click on "edit site list...", and then add http://homepage.math.uiowa.edu to the exception site list. Accept the change you made twice (once for editing the list, and once for accepting the settings on the security tab).
- If there is no Exceptions List, there will be the possibility of choosing a security level. Change the level from "high" to "medium", and accept your changes.
- Restart the machine.
- Clear the cache on your web browser.
- If you changed the security setting to "medium", change it back to "high" when you are done viewing the graphics applets.
Instructions Windows computers.
- From the start menu in the lower left of the home screen, choose "control panel", then "programs", then "java". This opens the java control panel.
- Follow further instructions as for Apple, above.